“Here in this place, new light is streaming, now is the darkness vanished away, […] GATHER US IN!”
While the darkness of COVID-19 is not yet fully vanished, we are in a safer place with the rate of vaccination and measures underway around the United States. Because of this, it is with great joy and celebration that we are able to announce the resumption of weekly in-person Mass for Dignity/Washington beginning June 13, 2021, at St. Margaret’s!
Our Reopening and Liturgy committees met to make this decision Thursday evening, and it was unanimously approved by our Board of Directors. This choice and the revised precautions outlined below are informed by reduced restrictions by our host community, feedback from our Pentecost Sunday Mass, and the results of the recent vaccination survey (in which 100% of the 49 respondents noted they were fully vaccinated, with a handful still within the 14 day period).
New Mass protocols include a reduction of those put in place for our Pentecost Mass while maintaining safe procedures where we deemed necessary to ensure all those who decide to attend in-person worship feel comfortable and welcome.
The decisions outlined below may change as we continue to gather, but at this time, here are some of the things you should expect:
- All worshipers are asked to register ahead of the Mass (link forthcoming).
- All worshipers are required to be fully masked during the Mass regardless of vaccination status.
- Presiders, acolytes, interpreters, and lectors are free to remove their masks when speaking to increase accessibility and clarity of sound.
- Individuals serving as presiders, acolytes, and eucharistic ministers must be fully vaccinated.
- Masked singing will resume led by the choir.
- Worshipers are free to self-select their seats and distance as they feel comfortable. During registration, one can note a preference for distanced seating to sit in a more restricted portion of the nave.
- Mass will be live-streamed each week on Facebook for those unable to join in person.
- After Mass, a simple social with light refreshment will be provided, during which masks are optional for those fully vaccinated.